Like to Trip has labored with Devon County Council to get extra folks on bikes since 2016. Over the previous 5 years, people and organizations in Devon have clocked up greater than 8-million miles, inspired 1,592 new riders, and achieved 34,305 badges together with 171 ‘Legends’ (folks logging over 100,000 miles).
With Cycle September 2021 quick approaching, and them taking part in host to the Tour of Britain (which can see elite cyclists from world wide blast by their streets), we determined to check out Like to Trip Devon’s achievements from final Cycle September and their spectacular conduct change outcomes.
Cycle September 2020
Distances (miles) 211,794
Whole journeys 16,341
The gender cut up:
• 53% of all new riders had been girls, reflecting the pattern that we have now seen an increasing number of girls take up biking over the past 1.5 years.
We additionally recognized a giant alternative for modal shift with 25% of all contributors reporting they often commute to work by automotive after they registered.
• New rider contributors, on common, loved a complete of seven rides throughout the month-long problem interval. Leading to 1,000 whole rides, clocking up 8.6 miles per experience.
• Occasional riders biked an identical variety of rides to new riders however for a higher distance, using 12.3 miles per journey.
• Common riders on common logged roughly three rides every week. 27% of standard riders biked to work throughout the problem.
Put up-Cycle September
3 week survey outcomes
66% of recent riders, 49% of occasional riders, and 27% of standard riders stated they meant to experience their bike extra usually sooner or later.
6 months after Cycle September
In March 2021 we resurveyed contributors to learn how their behaviour had modified.
- 68% new riders are using extra usually, barely greater than stated they meant to within the 3-week survey.
- 45% of occasional riders are using extra usually, solely just below the 49% who stated they meant to within the 3-week survey.
- Greater than 1 / 4 of riders who didn’t experience to work earlier than Cycle September are using extra usually afterwards.
- 28% of contributors had been using for different transportation functions – prefer to get groceries, go to pals, seize a espresso, and so forth.
Modifications in bodily exercise
- Of those that weren’t assembly the beneficial ranges of bodily exercise per week previous to participating within the Problem, 52% famous a rise in bodily exercise after.
- 75% of contributors who didn’t do any bodily exercise previous to the problem had elevated to doing bodily exercise on three or extra days 6-months after.
What the riders say
“Cycle September is a good initiative and extremely useful in encouraging folks to cycle extra.” Camilla M, Common rider
“All the time take pleasure in getting concerned in these challenges, it has been considerably totally different this 12 months, however I nonetheless tried to get on my bike the place attainable.” – Matt T, Common rider
“I actually take pleasure in being a part of the like to experience expertise. It’s positively motivational to log rides, and see the mileage rising” – Karen Ok, Occasional rider