With lower temperatures in these autumn and winter months, it is important to eat foods that keep the body warm, nourished and that help both prevent colds and sleep better or boost the immune system.
In the middle of a cold spell, your body will surely ask you for pleasant, hot and tasty foods such as those shown below. They will warm you up, will help you replenish energy and are also typical of autumn and winter.
While in summer salads, ceviches, fresh sandwiches, raw dishes or cold soups are desired, in this reverse of the year we are not looking for refreshment but quite the opposite: to provide heat to the body through food. These are some of the most recommended options:
HOT FOODS FOR THE COLD MONTHS
- Hot drinks: Since the body has a harder time maintaining normal body temperature when it’s very cold, you can help your body warm up with tea, infusions, plain coffee or hot chocolate.
- Soups and broths: It is essential to bring an abundant amount of vegetables and seasonal vegetables such as leeks, pumpkins, chards or carrots that promote hydration and contribute to maintaining body temperature.
- Onions and garlic: These are key foods due to their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Take them daily, and don’t forget the spices with anti-flu properties or that stimulate fat burning and good digestion.
- Legumes: A good dish of lentils or chickpeas provide you with proteins of high biological value, dietary fiber and multiple vitamins and minerals such as iron or zinc. They are ideal for hot dishes and for tasting slowly.
- Pasta and brown rice: Carbohydrates that will give you the energy you need to fight the cold. As they are complex, their release is slow: they are healthier, give you better digestion and charge your batteries for hours.