MacGregor Falls has develop into one in all my favourite hidden waterfall hikes in Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park. The Black Canyon Path meanders via previous ranch land meadows, alongside the fascinating Lumpy Ridge rock formations, and gives views of Longs Peak to the southwest. The falls are 3.1 miles (a technique) from the Lumpy Ridge Trailhead. It’s a lesser-known hike with a quaint notation “falls” on the Nationwide Geographic RMNP Map. Discover the complete MacGregor Falls hike profile beneath for path map, driving instructions, and extra suggestions and particulars that can assist you get pleasure from this journey in Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park.
Path Snapshot: MacGregor Falls in Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park
- Hike Distance: 6.2 miles Spherical Journey
- Issue: Average
- Length: Approx 3-4 hr Spherical Journey
- Path Kind: Out and Again
- Beginning Elevation: 7870′
- Elevation Achieve: Approx. +460′
- Seasons: Spring via Fall, Winter Snowshoeing
- Canines: Canines Prohibited in RMNP
- Hike Path Map: Nationwide Geographic Trails Illustrated Map
- Denver Drive Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Driving Instructions to Lumpy Ridge Trailhead: Click on for Google Map
- City Nearest Hike: Estes Park, Colorado
- Magnificence: Waterfall, aspen, ponderosa pine, mountain views, wildlife: Abert’s squirrel, elk, deer, moose, bear; wildflowers.
- Actions: Picnicking, climbing trails, snowshoeing, horseback using, backcountry tenting (with a allow), pictures
- Payment: Park Move Required
Parking & Trailhead Data for MacGregor Falls
The Lumpy Ridge Trailhead (also called the Twin Owls Trailhead) is positioned north of Estes Park. It’s only a quick drive out of Estes Park on MacGregor Avenue, which turns into Devils Gulch Highway. This highway meets Lumpy Ridge Highway, which results in the trailhead and parking space round 0.3 miles from the intersection.
The Hike: MacGregor Falls Path in RMNP
From the Twin Owls/Lumpy Ridge Trailhead, the hike begins by heading west on the primary path that runs parallel with the Lumpy Ridge. This phase of path passes via the expansive meadows of MacGregor Ranch which is located on the base of Lumpy Ridge. Lumpy Ridge is a world-renown mountain climbing space; you’ll probably be capable to spot climbers alongside the gray granite faces of the cliffs as you hike. And sure, you’ll be climbing with the cows via this phase of the hike.
At about 0.6 mile into the path, hikers will encounter the primary path junction. The best way to MacGregor Falls is to the left towards “The Pear.”
On the second main path junction, the climbing routes path leads as much as the precise. The proper technique to MacGregor falls is to proceed straight on the primary path (see photograph beneath).
The path will transition from meadows into stands of Ponderosa pine. Finally the path will arrive at a inexperienced gate (see photograph beneath). This space will not be very nicely marked and a part of what makes this a lesser recognized hike. I unintentionally continued on the primary path via the inexperienced gate and needed to backtrack all the way down to the creek. The proper route is to take a connector/social path that leads alongside the fence line to a dust highway.
On the dust highway, the way in which to MacGregor falls is to the precise (West) and follows shut beside Black Canyon Creek. Word that the signage right here could possibly be knocked over. You’ll discover within the photograph that the signal submit is leaning towards a tree. It is usually essential to be extra conscious of the terrain on this closing phase of the hike as flooding lately has carved away the creek sides and parts of the path. It’s conceivable that the dust sides of the creek may collapse if climbing in a extremely eroded areas.
Black Canyon Creek is gorgeous. When the water stage is low or reasonable, you may hint cascades which have been sculpted via the granite. I discovered these options as pleasant to discover because the waterfall itself.
The path enters a extra slender space stuffed with aspen timber, virtually a tunnel of inexperienced, and finally arrives on the waterfall. There’s a small cascade simply earlier than MacGregor falls that would simply be mistaken for the waterfall. The true waterfall is only a few yards additional up the path. MacGregor falls is a novel slab waterfall that’s funneled down at an angle, then crashes right into a granite wall, sending the water right into a second cascade. Watch out strolling round on this space as there are ruins of an previous water venture with sharp items of previous metallic protruding up out of the creek.
One of the best views of MacGregor falls are from the alternative aspect of the creek. Nonetheless, train warning on this space as a result of it’s steep and the terrain may be much more unpredictable when snow remains to be on the bottom.
Suggestions & Assets for Mountaineering to MacGregor Falls in RMNP
- TIP: Deliver numerous water and high-energy meals.
- A Higher View: To view the waterfalls extra favorably, the creek could be crossed provided that situations allow it.
- Path Map: Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park has a map to MacGregor Falls on web page 21 of this PDF
- Packing Checklist: At all times pack the ten Necessities. Obtain our Mountaineering Information to get checklist and dayhiking packing guidelines.
- Colorado Highway Circumstances: Colorado Highway Circumstances
- After the Hike: Notchtop Bakery & Cafe
Map & Driving Instructions
Click on for Driving Instructions