Although it’s the best of meals, for some purpose cooking rice is a little bit of an artwork, which may put lots of people off making the stuff. However whether or not you’re cautious of it otherwise you’re seeking to zhuzh up your plain boiled basmati, it’s time to introduce some good rice to your life. The Rice Affiliation has celebrated Nationwide Rice Week (Thirteenth-Nineteenth September, however you knew that already) by pulling collectively ricey recipes from a number of main cooks.
You’ll discover the full vary of recipes on the Rice Affiliation web site, however the one which caught our eye was the baked Mexican rice with beans and greens, topped with a mango salsa, from Niki Webster at Insurgent Recipes. It’s filled with veg and beans, and fairly simple to organize – anytime you see “mix all of the components” close to the beginning of a recipe you understand you’re in for a comparatively simple trip. It additionally cooks the rice within the oven which, in our expertise at the very least, is essentially the most foolproof means of getting rice proper.
Substances (Serves 4)
For the rice
- 650ml vegetable inventory (or boiling water)
- 250g lengthy grain rice, rinsed nicely
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 40g greens (eg asparagus/broccoli/spring greens), chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to style
For the tomato sauce
- 1 crimson onion, sliced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- ½tsp chilli powder or chipotle powder
- 1tsp floor cumin
- 1tsp oregano
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 3tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
For the mango salsa
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced into cubes
- Contemporary coriander and mint, shredded
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of sea salt flakes and chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/gasoline 4. Mix all of the rice components in a casserole dish and stir. Cowl tightly with foil, then bake for quarter-hour.
- Within the meantime, fry the onion within the olive oil on a medium warmth for eight minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and stir to mix. Add the chopped tomatoes and sun-dried tomato paste and simmer for six minutes till the tomatoes have began to interrupt down.
- Take away the rice from the oven and add the tomato combine to the rice. Stir to mix, then bake for an additional quarter-hour or till the rice is tender.
- Make the salsa by including all of the components to a bowl and mixing to mix. Serve with the baked rice.