WHAT IS THE SUMMER SOLSTICE
Oh, fantastic summer time! Simply saying the phrase brings on ideas of lengthy days, quick nights, and rising temperatures to take pleasure in. For these of us with children, it additionally means early sunrises, late sunsets, and quite a lot of “however the solar is out!” arguments for waking up early or staying up late. However what’s the summer time solstice, and why does it mark the beginning of summer time? Learn on to seek out out extra!
On the summer time solstice (additionally known as midsummer in some cultures), one of many earth’s poles reaches its most tilt (23.44 levels) towards the solar. For these of us within the Northern Hemisphere, this happens on June 21 this 12 months and marks the longest day and the shortest night time of the 12 months. Curiously, international locations and territories north of the Arctic Circle (similar to Alaska) witness what is named the “midnight solar” the place the solar is seen for a full 24 hours.
Whereas we think about this present day the beginning of summer time in the US, different cultures think about it nearer to the center of summer time. The summer time solstice has been related to all the pieces from the beginning of the brand new 12 months in historical Greece to the female “yin” drive in historical China. No matter which manner you have a look at it, it is a day price celebrating! Listed below are some actions, crafts, and e book suggestions to assist your loved ones have a good time the longest day (and shortest night time) of the 12 months.
Picture Credit score: Jessica Human
- Welcome the early dawn with yoga — Greet the dawn or sundown with just a few rounds of solar salutations to provide thanks for the blessings the solar brings us. You possibly can comply with it up with just a few poses depicting a few of these blessings, similar to tree pose and flower pose, or some enjoyable animal poses to maintain the kiddos . Uncover extra family-friendly yoga poses on this article.
- Dawn or sundown hike — Usher the household out the door for an early-morning hike to welcome the solar on the longest day of the 12 months. Don’t need to get up that early? Purpose for a sundown hike as an alternative and keep to marvel on the starlit sky because it involves life on the shortest night time of the 12 months.
- Create a summer-themed nature desk — Creating an space the place children can place objects that remind them of summer time is an excellent method to kick off the season! The realm will be as small as a bowl with just a few particular objects or as massive as a desk with quite a few summer time initiatives on show. A number of examples to incorporate are seashells collected on the seaside, postcards from a trip, summer time crafts, or potted flowers. Any objects that remind your loved ones of the limitless enjoyable of summer time will work!
- Spend time with the native flora — What higher method to present your gratitude for the daylight than by spending time within the backyard or visiting a farm to provide thanks for the bounty that’s made doable by the solar? In any case, with out the solar, crops couldn’t exist, which in flip implies that animals (like us) couldn’t exist.
Picture Credit score: Ali Chandra
- Assemble a solar suncatcher — Seize the radiance of daylight with a sun-shaped suncatcher to hold in your window! This craft is bound to brighten your day even when the climate turns gloomy.
- Make a flower crown — Have a good time the season with a vibrant and sunny flower crown. If dandelions are plentiful in your yard this time of 12 months, right here is a simple tutorial for a dandelion crown utilizing no additional supplies. Then you possibly can harvest the dandelion greens to make a yummy salad! Trying to save the flowers and go away no hint, otherwise you don’t have dandelions in your yard? Here’s a tutorial that makes use of faux flowers to create a beautiful summer time crown.
- Create a sundial — Get in some stealth studying by educating the kiddos how historical people decided the time of day by utilizing the shadow solid by the place of the solar. This straightforward craft could make an important addition to your backyard, patio, or outside play space.
- Extra solar crafts — On the lookout for extra crafts to assist your loved ones have a good time the solar and the beginning of summer time? Listed below are a plethora of straightforward choices to attempt together with your children.
Picture Credit score: Ali Chandra
SUMMER BOOKS TO READ
Because the saying goes, “An image is price a thousand phrases.” These superbly illustrated books assist youngsters of all ages perceive what occurs as spring turns to summer time.
BIRTH– 3 YEARS
I See Summer time by Charles Ghigna — Pea pods, cucumbers, and strawberries present loads of alternatives for counting within the backyard! This brilliantly illustrated, summer-themed e book offers readers a possibility to go looking and be taught with hidden numbers on each web page.
Summer time Days and Nights by Wong Herbert Ye — Observe a spunky little lady as she finds methods to entertain herself and keep cool on a sizzling summer time day. From catching butterflies to looking for frogs, the writer focuses on appreciating the small however particular particulars that outline the summer time season.
Summer time Is Right here by Heidi Pross Grey — Learn alongside because the writer covers a few of the greatest highlights of summer time, from selecting blueberries to diving into the water on a sizzling day. Wonderful watercolor illustrations and rhythmic, whimsical textual content lead the reader on a summer time journey on this e book.
The Wonders of Summer time by Kealy Connor Lonning – Observe an adventurous little lady and her father as they expertise the wonders of summer time, from wading in a river and catching fireflies to having fun with ice cream. This heartfelt e book will encourage households to get outdoor and respect the wonders and great thing about nature in summer time.
4 YEARS AND UP
The Longest Day – Celebrating the Summer time Solstice by Wendy Pfeffer — This e book takes readers on a journey by the historical past and science behind the summer time solstice, with a deal with summer time celebrations from numerous cultures around the globe. The writer additionally makes use of kid-friendly language to explain the science behind summer time phenomena, similar to the expansion of a butterfly and the longer day size.
Summer time Solar Risin’ by W. Nikola-Lisa – Be a part of a bit boy as he spends an activity-filled summer time day serving to his household on their farm. Feeding animals, mowing hay, selecting greens, and consuming freshly caught fish fill the hours on a summer time farm within the Fifties.
And Then Comes Summer time by Tom Brenner — Lyrical textual content is used to explain the sights, smells, sounds, and favourite outside actions of summer time. The e book is accompanied by cheerful illustrations depicting the fun of summer time and is sufficient to get anybody excited for the warmest season of the 12 months!
Underneath Alaska’s Midnight Solar by Deb Vanasse — See summer time by the eyes of an Alaskan lady as she enjoys the “midnight solar” of her area. With lovely illustrations, comply with alongside as she dances, watches wildlife, and stays up late with the solar that doesn’t set.
How does your loved ones have a good time the beginning of summer time? Tell us within the feedback beneath!
ABOUT HIKE IT BABY
We hope you loved studying this text from Hike it Child. We’re working onerous to offer our group with content material and sources that inform, encourage, and entertain you.